- 01 646 8300
- 020 436 460
How Lokomat therapy works?
Lokomat therapy is based on the latest findings in motoric learning for neurological patients. It is known that a new movement, or a qualitative improvement to an existing movement can be achieved only through a very high number of repetitions of that movement. These movements, for their part, should represent the actual movement to be learned as accurately as possible. With the support of the Lokomat system, patients can re-learn walking movements through the use of both of these therapeutic methods (repetition and task-oriented training).
Lokomat is a neurorehabilitation device which operates by combining technology and virtual reality in order to help patients to walk again and toreturn the function of legs after stroke or other neurological or orthopedic injuries much faster than classical types of physical therapies.
Lokomat offers the most physiological gait pattern with constant feedback and therapy assessment. Lokomat is exoskeleton robot charasteristic for itsinnovative design and orthoses adapted to the anatomy of an adult patient and a child.
The advantages of Lokomat compared to conventional therapy are interactive and amusing way of work with video games, which encourages the patient to do the specific type of movement a couple of times, thus activating the wanted muscles and making the recovery faster and more successful.
Besides with video games the patient is additionally motivated with neurofeedback.The precise measuring with sensors on knees and hips orthoses evaluates his effort, presenting every single reaction of the body to the specific movement on the monitor.
Indications for Lokomat:
- Cerebral paralysis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson disease
- Traumatic brain injury
- Degenarative diseases of the joints of the lower extremities
- Muscular atrophy
- Muscle weakness due to the lack of mobility
Advantages of Gait Therapy with Lokomat:
- NEW FreeD Module: Supports weight shift and balance activation through lateral and rotational movements of the pelvis.
- NEW Challenge Package: Supporting specific therapy goals for optimized patient challenge.
- Therapists can provide longer and more intensive treatment sessions.
- The individually adjustable exoskeleton ensures the most physiological gait pattern with essential sensory feedback.
- Assist-as-needed support enables clinicians to optimally shape training challenges based on the patient's capabilities.
- Exciting, game-like Augmented Performance Feedback exercises increase patient's motivation and effort.
- Pediatric Orthoses: an optional add-on module offering the first driven gait orthosis for functional and motivating locomotion therapy for small children